BJ Medical College was established in the year 1871. The medical college was affiliated to the Civil hospital based in Ahmedabad. The medical college started with scratch with only 14 students admitted in the first year of its operations. After running for 8 years, the college received a donation amount of Rs. 20,000 by Sir Byramjee Jeejeebhoy and it got the name as B. J. Medical School.
B J Medical College ran successfully for years together and was promoted to a college status after being affiliated to Bombay University. In 1951, the college started offering L.C.P.S. diploma courses. Soon, the college got affiliated to Gujarat University and had a full-fledged umbrella of courses running under the undergraduate and postgraduate heads. This institute has made significant contributions in medical education in association with the Indian Council of Medical Research. The institute has been recognized by the World Health Organization (W.H.O.) for bringing innovations in training and teaching programs in child health services and universal immunization.
Courses offered by BJ Medical college
Currently, the medical institute has flourished to a great extent, running various allied, medical and paramedical institutions, such as:
• U. N. Mehta Institute of Cardiology
• Institute of Kidney Diseases and Research Centre
• M. P. Shah Cancer Research Institute
• TB Demonstration and Training Centre
• M & J Institute of Ophthalmology
The institute offers M.D. Postgraduate courses in 15 branches of medicine, M.S. courses in 5 branches of surgery, DM super specialty in 3 branches, M.Ch in 4 branches, PG diploma courses in 10 branches, and many other medical degrees for non-medical persons. BJ Medical college is approved by MCI for 250 UG seats. The institute offers various PG medical MD/MS/Diploma courses and which has a total student intake of 338, and DM/MCH courses with 64 in total. The medical college is highly research oriented, and various research projects are running in this institute.
MBBS Admission Procedure: The College admits the students based on the NEET UG exam rank, a national level entrance exam conducted by NTA. The admission to 15% MBBS seats is through Centralized Counselling conducted by MCC and the admission to remaining 85% MBBS seats is through State Counselling conducted by Admission Committee for Professional Medical Courses, Gujarat.
• For eligibility for MBBS admission, the candidate must have secured a minimum of 50% aggregate in Physics, Chemistry, and Biology in Class 12th.
• The applicant must be 17 years of age on or before December 31st of the year of MBBS admission. The candidate must not be of more than 25 years of age at the time of admission. For SC/ST the age relaxation is provided for 3 years.
• The candidates must have qualified in NEET UG.
PG Admission Process:
The College admits the students based on the NEET PG exam rank, a national level entrance exam conducted by NBE. The admission to 50% PG medical seats is through Centralized Counselling conducted by MCC and the admission to remaining 50% PG medical seats is through State Counselling conducted by Admission Committee for Professional Medical Courses, Gujarat.
• For PG medical admission, the candidate must possess the MBBS degree from recognised university and must have completed the necessary rotating internship.
• The candidates must have qualified in NEET PG.
• The salient feature of this college is that it has a massive full-fledged running hospital with 2500 beds. The hospital is well-equipped with all the modern facilities such as well-equipped medical departments, and the availability of necessary tools and equipment.
• The institute has a massive collection of books, journals and e-books by national as well as international authors in the library.
• There are separate hostels for boys and girls on campus. The hostels are well made with drinking water supply, hot water provision, in-door and outdoor sports, recreation hall and a cafeteria.
• Residential on-campus facilities are provided to the doctors with 24 hours of security and telecom facility. The residences are facilitated with cable TV connection, electric, and water supply.
• The campus is lush green with plenty of greenery around for ensuring a healthy environment.
• As per the Week Magazine issue published in 2016, BJ Medical college is ranked 14th in India for its academic excellence.
• The teaching hospital provides great hands-on skills to the medical students. The institute provides one of the highest numbers of skilled doctors each year.
• It is a government institute run on the grants given by the government of Gujarat.
• The institute has been playing a critical role in serving the needy with the best medical care facilities for decades now.
• The students admitted to MBBS, and various PG medical courses get an extremely good exposure. They carry many wonderful memories of enjoying campus life together. These memories are cherished by the students after passing out. The institute also has a huge alumni centre to stay connected with its passed out students.
• The hospital also has a Dietetics department, which deals with nutritional guidance for patients. The patients are entirely guided about their nutritional health care needs and are provided with highly nourishing hygienically cooked food.
• BJ Medical College also has a well-developed creative corner for students who are creative. It also releases a college magazine highlighting the creative skills and talents of the students.